Joint Press Release
Lee County Schools to Close Facilities
March 19, 2020. 10:00am
Lee County, City of Giddings, City of Lexington, Giddings ISD, Lexington ISD, Dime Box ISD, Immanuel Lutheran School, St. Paul Serbin School
After consultation between Lee County Judge Paul Fischer, Emergency Management Coordinator Delynn Peschke, Giddings Mayor John Dowell, Lexington Mayor Allen Retzlaff, and public and private school administrators, each of the Lee County Schools will be closing instructional facilities. Instruction will be moved to home-based and remote instructional settings beginning (or continuing) Monday, March 23, 2020 and will continue indefinitely. These actions are in support of our nation’s need to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19.
Our local officials report that cases are continuing to spread in the state, and an increase in confirmed cases in our county seems likely. Closing facilities indefinitely will allow us to monitor local conditions and make decisions accordingly.
In the event that facilities are reopened, each entity will provide a minimum of 72 hours notice.
We want to reiterate a request to our broader community to take the following reasonable precautions to prevent the spread of the illness:
- Don’t shake hands
- Wash your hands regularly
- Limit movement within the community, especially avoiding crowded places and maintaining 3 to 6 ft of distance between people (at least an arm’s length)
- If you are moving around in the community, don’t congregate in large groups
- For those who have traveled to areas with known COVID-19 cases – both inside and outside of the country – we ask that you self-quarantine and monitor for symptoms.
- If you suspect you have symptoms of COVID-19, call your health care provider for medical advice.
- Do not leave the house if you are ill, except to access medical care.
This is a quickly changing situation, and we will continue to reassess local conditions and provide timely updates via websites and social media.
Thank you for your support and cooperation as we ensure that all members of our community stay safe and healthy.